Software Engineering Manager
Serko is an established leader in the Australasian market in travel and expense management applications aimed at making business travel personal. Zeno, our new platform, is revolutionizing the world of online travel and expense management, providing the control that travel managers need with an easy interface that travelers love.
To support the rapid growth and scale that commercial success brings, our Engineering and Operations teams have been investing time in improving our products and processes by embracing and adopting micro-services, micro-frontends, continuous delivery and ongoing refactoring.
We are hiring people from different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives to help us build a world-class team. Our engineering and operations team values inclusion, diversity, collaboration, autonomy, simplicity, continuous improvement, and fun!
We are looking for an engineering manager to help lead our engineering team in Foshan. All leaders are different, and we want our leaders to play to their strengths, so even though this role describes various competencies we expect that most people will delegate some of the responsibilities to their teams. The core competencies of this role include mentoring and coaching of people, cultivating a collaborative team, leading delivery, production operations, and continuous improvement. We expect you to have a background as an individual contributor, and these responsibilities should not preclude you from being hands-on when possible.
What will you do on a daily basis?
- Lead a collaborative self-organising team in delivering great software that our customers love!
- Collaborate with the product group and other teams to align the team with company objectives and initiatives across engineering
- Develop people and teams through ongoing coaching and mentoring
- Create and nurture an inclusive team environment, where team members feel like they belong and can do their best work
- Establish open communication and feedback between team members
- Work in a “build it and run it” environment where engineering teams build, deploy, monitor and support the components that they own
- Work with the team to identify and implement improvements in our processes, practices and product
- Support teams in increasing the delivery proficiency by creating a learning environment.
- Drive adoption of practices that ensure higher quality software is delivered to production frequently such as Story mapping, Moving quality left, Exploratory testing, Test-driven Design, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Pair-Programming and Mob-Programming
What would you bring to the role?
- Experience and Passion for growing, developing and guiding people
- Open to receiving and giving feedback in a safe and inclusive workplace
- Interested in working in an environment where leaders support their teams to do great work, through removing impediments, finding improvements, and facilitating effective decision making
- Enthusiastic about experimenting with new ways of doing things to help the team reach new levels of effectiveness (and efficiency)
- Background as an individual contributor and willing to get into the details when the team needs it
- Experience working in and leading agile development teams with either XP, Lean or Scrum a requirement
- Great verbal and written communication in English and Chinese
- Excited to learn about how our industry works and the impact we bring to our customers
Serko's people work in a collaborative way, with energy and enthusiasm. We are looking for like minded people who wish to be part of an organisation with a growing international reputation. If you’re up for a challenge, and are excited about joining a team in China we’d love to hear from you.
To find out more about working at Serko go to http://www.serko.com/about-serko/